A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 12, 14, 18, 19, 44, 50, 54, 61, 68, 76, 80, 82, 91, 104, 110, 120A & 126
Alt Street runs from Ashfield Station right through to Waratah Street in Haberfield. Prior to the railway line being constructed it ran through to Liverpool Road. It is one of the oldest Streets in Ashfield. It was named after Surveyor General, Augustus Alt who also lived in Ashfield. Towards the station, at the southern end there are numerous units and flats built in the 1960’s and 70’s. Moving further north the dwellings are single storied interspersed with flats and units. There are dwellings from almost every era of Ashfield’s built history in Alt Street and examples of leadlight in Victorian through to Interwar Bungalows. A significant buildings is ‘Amesbury’, now the Brahma Kumaris Raja Yoga Meditation Centre. It has some wonderful leadlight from the Victorian Period (1887).
No 12 has a 4 panel casement circular bay window Each panel has a large convex oval surrounded by a strip of texture glass. From this two vertical elements of textured glass descend and are tipped with small blue rectangles.