Second Street was part of the first subdivision of the Wattle Hill Estate 'Hurlstone Park' in 1915. The lots had 'city water and electric lights' and the subdivision created a precinct that is remarkable. The first lots in Second Street were put up for auction in February 1915 at the start of World War One. Only about half were sold and the other half went up for auction in 1916.By 1916, the advertising became more nationalistic and included not only the wattle but the rising sun that was a significant part of Australian identity after Federation.
Some of the houses in Second Street have been irreversibly modified but many have retained the architecture and the feel of the late Federation years and the arrival of the Californian Bungalow. And, as with First Street, many have retained their leadlight from the late Federation years to the 1920’s and the arrival of Californian Bungalow; the ubiquitous dwelling in Ashbury. There are about 10 small cottages between 2-20 that look extraordinarily similar.
Leadlight apparent at No’s 8, 16, 18, 19, 25, 29, 31, 33, 40, 42, 45, 50-52, 51, 53, 62, 69, 71, 73 & 77
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
By 1916, in the middle of World War 1, the advertising for the Wattle Hill Estate had become far more emblematic of the post Federation era. Canterbury might have been close but Hurlstone Park...?
First and Second Street were part of the first subdivision of the Wattle Hill Estate Hurlstone Park in 1915. The advertising focuses on the access to transport and the quality of the soil for gardening.
No 8 is a small late Federation cottage built in 1917 with leadlight in a three panel casement window. The design is very strange with what looks like a boomerang or a large coat hanger and a heart at the bottom of the central panel. Very unusual. But, the most unusual thing is that there is another three panel casement at No 18 that shares some definite similarities.