A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian
Leadlight apparent at No 10
Thornley Street, May 2021.
First subdivision of the Warren Estate, 1883.
Thornley street marked the southern boundary of The Warren’, the estate owned by Thomas Holt. Holt purchased 130 acres in 1857 built an estate and mansion known as ‘The Warren’ and it became a significant feature of Marrickville. The mansion was huge and built of stone in the Victorian Gothic style.
Thornley Street is shown in this 1883 plan for the subdivision of the Warren Estate. Lowe Street, shown in the subdivision no longer exists, because it was flood prone and is now part of Steel Park. There has been a lot of development and redevelopment in Thornley Street but there are still a few houses that have retained their leadlight.
Another subdivision of the Warren Estate, 1883.
An 180's two storey house in Thornley Street.
Number 27 is a Californian bungalow (c.1925) with leadlight in a three panel casement window that unfortunately has seen some better times.