Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 11, 14, 18, 20, 22, 24, 28, 52 & 56.
Enfield Street is shown as ‘Charles Street’ in the 1884 subdivision of the Hawkhurst Estate. The Cook’s River Old Road is now Livingstone Road and the Illawarra Old Road is now Petersham Road.
While the subdivisions of Enfield Street began in the 1880’s most of the houses on the north side of the street appear to have been built in the interwar years and it is these bungalows that have retained their leadlight. This is an excellent street to walk down to get an overview of the leadlight designs that were used from the 1920’s and 1930s.
No 11 is an Interwar bungalow (c.1936) with leadlight in enough for panel double hung angled bay window. This design is quite dramatic. There is a large bevelled glass in the centre of the top panel surrounded by four strips of glass through which radiate four lines What is interesting is that these adiating lines are slightly offset from the centre sf the window. There is a strong Art Deco feel to this bay window.