HABERFIELD

Kingston Street

Main Period: Federation - Interwar

Leadlight apparent at No’s 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18A, 20, 22, 23, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 34, 36, 37, 39, 40, 42, 47, 51, 52, 55, 56, 57, 60, 64, 67, 69, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 82, 84, 90, 95, 96, 101, 103, 104, 106 & 108

Kingston Street between Ramsay Street and Waratah Street was part of Stanton’s 1st Haberfield Estate in 1901. The part of Kingston Street south of Ramsay Street was part of Stanton’s 2nd Haberfield Estate: the St David’s Estate in 1903. The name was then changed to St David’s Road.  The northern end of Kingston Street (above Waratah) was part of the Dobroyd Point Estate owned by the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company and was auctioned off  initially in 1909, then again in 1910, again in 1911 & 1913 with the last lots offered in 1915.

Kingston Street is entrance leadlight heaven! It is also a street where the differences in Federation leadlight can be observed in the entrances to the Federation houses. As the years moved on into the 1920’s so the leadlight began to colonise more windows and other doors throughout the house. Kingston Street is a relatively long street but the walk is worth it for the fabulous architecture and the intact leadlight spanning the years from roughly 1903 till the middle 1930’s.

Kingston Street

No 1 is a house built in 1921 with leadlight in two casement windows on the north side. There is leadlight in a two panel casement window on the verandah to the left of the entrance and another on the right. Unlike the leadlight at No 3 this lot, while still minimalist, has a splash of colour in some diamonds and in the bar. This house shows the influence of the Bungalow style.

© 2019 Colin Webb