Melville Street was auctioned off as part of the Fourth (April Fool's Day) and Fifth Subdivision of the Goodlet Estate and as part of the Trevenar Estate all in 1922. The Trevenar Estate was auctioned just one week after the Fourth Subdivision of the Goodlet Estate so it is reasonable to assume that there was a reasonably high demand for lots in this area. It is also understandable why the area became known as Ashbury when the primary school was built in 1925 and the area subsequently became Ashbury. It is a street that has retained a lot of Californian Bungalows and leadlight from this period of the mid 1920’s.
Leadlight apparent at No’s 12, 20, 26, 27, 30, 34, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41 & 43
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
These auction flyers all show Melville Street but it was described as being in Ashfield South and Ashfield/Canterbury in 1922. It was inevitable that the area would become known as Ashbury. All the allotments on both sides of the street were offered for sale in 1922.
No 12 is a Californian Bungalow built in the mid 1920’s with leadlight in two three panel casement windows. The design is ‘ovalate’ and flows with pastel green swirls in the outer panels that rise to floral elements and a pastel blue bar and pink shapes to connect the panels.