Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 & 23.
This 1877 subdivision of Short Street shows the shaded area that was redeveloped in 1934 by S.D.Baker.
Short Street is part of the (C46) Lindsay-Louisa-Short, Summer Hill Conservation Area. The area is of historical significance as a 1934 subdivision of the site of an 1882 house “Kenilworth” (demolished for the subdivision). Most of the houses (No’s 21 & 23 excluded) were built between 1934 and 1937 by Sydney Daniel Baker, a local builder. The one builder meant that the design was consistent, a ‘distinctive secluded enclave of late 1930s semi-detached single storey brick houses illustrating in the unity of built form and detail - such as hipped terracotta tile roofs, side entries, recessed front verandahs, and decorative brickwork’.
No 1 is semi-detached face brick single storey housing built 1934-1937 with leadlight in two small windows facing east. The design has a large convex square as the focus.