These two maps show Crinan Street in the Subdivision of the Fernhill Estate in 1893.
Main Period: Late Victorian-Federation-Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 22, 57, 70, 71, 76, 89, 96, 98, 100, 102, 109, 112, 111 & 113, 117 & 119
Crinan Street was named by Sarah Campbell after Crinan in the Argyll area in Scotland like many other street names in Hurlstone Park. It appears on Sarah Campbell’s subdivision map of 1874. There have been many subdivisions of parts of Crinan Street.
1890 Canterbury (on land the Canterbury Hurlstone Park RSL now occupies).
1893 1st Subdivision of the Fernhill Estate (No’s 41-77)
1897 Bennett’s Estate (No’s 81-103)
1903 Jeffrey’s Estate 2nd Subdivision (the shops on the southern side)
1910 Jeffrey’s Estate 5th Subdivision (No’s 88-108)
1911 Fernhill Station Estate (the shops on the northern side)
Bennet's Estate in 1987 showing Crinan Street
The shopping centre on the south side of Crinan Street was released in 1903 and the northside in 1911.
No 22 is an Interwar block of flats with leadlight in a two panel casement window in the first floor stairwell. It was very common for leadlight such as this to be installed in the stairwells of flats like this. It looks lovely.