A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No's 2, 4, 8, 10, 21 & 23
Louisa Street is part of the (C46) Lindsay-Louisa-Short, Summer Hill Conservation Area. The area is of historical significance as a 1934 subdivision of the site of an 1882 house “Kenilworth” (demolished for the subdivision). The even numbered houses (No’s 2-10) were built between 1934 and 1937 by Sydney Daniel Baker, a local builder. The one builder meant that the design was consistent, a ‘distinctive secluded enclave of late 1930s semi-detached single storey brick houses illustrating in the unity of built form and detail - such as hipped terracotta tile roofs, side entries, recessed front verandahs, and decorative brickwork’. There are also a number of Victorian period houses on the western side of the street but none of these have any leadlight.
Louisa Street is shown as a 'Road 30 feet wide' in the 1876 subdivision of the Summer Hill Estate.
No 2 is semi-detached face brick single storey house built 1934-1937 with leadlight in two small windows facing north. The design is difficult to see behind shrubs, but it appears to be a variation of the radiant design.