A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No 5.
The name Haig Avenue was presumably bestowed as a patriotic gesture honouring Field Marshal Lord Haig, military Commander-in-Chief during the heroic battles on the Western Front. The street now comprises the C45 Haig Avenue, Summer Hill Heritage Conservation Area but unfortunately ‘the aesthetic significance of the area has been substantially degraded.’
No 5 is described as an Inter-War Arts-&-Crafts Californian bungalow most likely built immediately after the Haig Subdivision of 1919, with leadlight in a five panel casement square bay window on the right and in the two verandah doors and the sidelights. The verandah has been enclosed and they are difficult to see which is a pity because the design in the bay window is really quite lovely with a border of pastel blue and flowing floral elements.