Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 11, 22, 30, 32, 33, 36, 37, 38, 40, 40 (rear), 43, 50, 52, 53, 54, 57, 59, 61, 67, 83, 85, 89, 99, 101, 107, 117, 121, 127, 129 & 133
Dalhousie Street is shown as a thoroughfare that lead to Boomerang Street and eventually right out to Dobroyd Point. It is still one of the main streets in Haberfield with examples of buildings from the earliest Victorian homes, to magnificent Federation homes, a few bungalows and some examples of things that should never have been allowed to be built. Most of the houses are from the Federation period with a few Interwar Bungalows. There are even a few Federation semi-detached houses on the western side of the street that were definitely not part of Stanton’s Garden Suburb. The walk from Parramatta Road to Waratah Street is a walk through time, through architecture and past some lovely leadlight particularly at No’s 36 and 80.
The first houses constructed in Dalhousie Street appear to have been built at the southern end on the eastern side as early as 1885 after the first subdivision was offered for sale that year as part of the Dobroyd Estate. Stanton & Son offered lots in Dalhousie Street as part of the 1st subdivision of the Haberfield Estate in 1901. Lots on the eastern side near the corner of Ramsay Street were offered for sale in Stanton’s St David’s Estate or the Haberfield No 2 Estate in 1903 with other lots auctioned as part of the 3rd Haberfield Estate somewhat later. Many of the lots on the western side of Dalhousie Street between Ramsay Street and Waratah Streets went up for auction from the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Society in 1905.
Haberfield as the first Garden Suburb in Stanton & Son's Haberfield Estates (No' 1, 2 & 3) involved lots in Dalhousie Street.
In 1905 lots on the western Side of Dalhousie Street were Auctioned by the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company.