A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 13, 31, 39A, 73, 84, 92B & 96.
Renwick Street was created when the Warren Estate was broken up after Thomas Holt, who built the estate, returned to England in 1883. The subdivision shown for ‘The Warren’ is dated c.1892 by the Stale Library of NSW but it is more likely to have taken place in the mid 1880’s. The bottom end of Renwick Street was subdivided in the Tempe Township subdivision in 1885 and the street is shown extending west, providing an indication that the Warren Subdivision had already happened. This area is now industrial and would have been flood prone. This early date is why there is a mixture of housing in Cary Street dating from the Victorian 1880’s, quite a few Federation houses and a few scattered bungalows.
Renwick Street, June 2021
Renwick Street circa. 1884
The bottom end of Renwick Street 1885.
No 13 is a small early Californian bungalow (c.1922) with leadlight in a large verandah enclosure. This appears to have been added not long after the house was built It has suffered some damage unfortunately as it looks beautiful.