Main Period: Late Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 32, 34, 36, 46, 48, 58, 56, 64, 66, 74, 78 & 60
Only the eastern side of Leopold Street (No’s 32-82) is part of Ashbury. The southern end of Leopold Street did not exist prior to 1929. The first subdivision of the Goodlet Estate in 1919 clearly shows Leopold Street terminating at Alison Street. With the demolition of Canterbury House in 1928 the way was open for the release of the Canterbury House Estate No2 in 1929, ten years after the northern end of Leopold Street. As a result there is a range in the architecture and hence the diversity of leadlight in Leopold Street from late Federation to the early 1930’s.
The ten years that separates these two subdivisions saw the extension of Leopold street after the demolition of Canterbury House in 1928.
No 32 is a Californian Bungalow built in 1924 with leadlight in two three panel casement windows. The design is one that reoccurs in Ashbury. There are three bevelled glass ovals, one in each panel, set in a shape that is difficult to describe, but it works. (See also No 30 Roslyn, & 15 Ettrick Streets)