This hand drawn map of the subdivision of Fernhill Street was used to draw up the advertising for the Fernhill Estate First Subdivision (Jeffrey's Estate) in 1893 shown on the right.
Leadlight apparent at No’s 24, 29, 33 & 1-2/37
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Fernhill was the original name for many of the estates and even the suburb before it was changed to Hurlstone Park. Lots at the southern end of Fernhill Street were released for auction in 1893. Lots at the northern end of Fernhill Street were released as part of the 3rd Subdivision of the Jeffrey’s Estate in 1906. There have been a lot of changes to some of the buildings but a few have retained some of their original leadlight.
The norther end of Fernhill Street was auctioned in 1906 as part of the 3rd Subdivision of the Jeffrey's Estate.
No 24 is a wonderful corner Federation house (c.1910) on the corner of Barre Street with leadlight in the front entrance in the door panel, sidelights & tops and in the fanlight. There is also leadlight in a wonderful six panel casement square bay window on the corner of the veranda that also has leadlight in the fanlights above. The design in the bay window has an early Art Nouveau feel to it and the central fanlight that spans the two central panels is asymmetrical. The floral elements used in the bay window are also used in the bull’s eye near the front door. The same design is used in the fanlight above what may have been a doorway opening to the verandah.