Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 19, 20, 23, 25, 27, 30, 31, 32, 39, 41, 53, 59, 61, 66, 71, 75 & 77, 80, 83 & 85, 84 & 82, 113, 115, 127, 128, 130, 135, 147, 153, 155 & 158
While it is spelt differently Duntroon Street is most certainly named after Duntrune Castle, Robert Campbell’s family castle in Scotland. The castle is on the northern shore of Loch Crinan and close to the village of Crinan in Argyll, Scotland. It is understandable that Robert Campbell, as well as his daughter Sarah, would want to impose the names of their ancestral land on Hurlstone Park Streets. Robert Campbell also owned a property on the limestone planes he acquired in 1825 and named it Duntroon. He subsequently built Duntroon House there in 1833. This land became the site of the Duntroon Military College in Canberra in 1911.
Duntroon Street is quite long, running down the hill from New Canterbury Road almost to the Cooks River. It is interrupted by the railway line. Its housing ranges from early Federation to Californian Bungalows and a lot of 1960’s and 1970's flats/units. There were some Interwar flats near the station with leadlight in the stairwell but these have been regrettably demolished. But, mercifully, a lot of the houses remain almost intact and so does their leadlight.
A beautiful early Federation house in Duntroon Street.
Duntroon Street is clearly shown on the Sarah Campbell subdivision map of 1874.
This plan clearly shows the corner of Duntroon Street and Canterbury Road. No date is indicated but it is likely to be around 1900 well before the hotel was built on the corner (now demolished for units).
No 19 is an early Californian Bungalow (c.1924) with leadlight in the three panel casement window on the veranda and in another a four panel casement on the left. The design has some lovely floral and swirls. The central panels in the four panel casement are unusual because what would have otherwise been vertical elements are arranged at an angle.