HABERFIELD

Alt Street

Main Period: Federation - Interwar

Leadlight apparent at No’s 137, 139, 144, 149, 150, 151, 155, 157, 162, 162A, 171, 172, 177, 179, 180, 181, 184, 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 196, 200, 202, 205, 207, 212, 214, 216, 230, 232 & 240

Alt Street runs from Ramsay Street Haberfield through to the railway line at Ashfield. The first subdivision of land on Alt Street occurred in 1885 when Alt Street was known as ‘Tenandra Street’.

There are a few semi-detached houses on the western side of Alt Street that were built in the Federation era but houses of that type were simply not to be allowed in the Stanton subdivisions on the eastern side.  The odd numbered blocks between Paramatta road and Ramsay Street were part of Stanson's No3 Estate. 

 

The leadlight in Alt Street ranges from early Federation through to the late 1920'S. 

Alt Street was known as 'Tenandra Street' when this part was subdivided in 1885.

The east side of Alt Street was part of the Stanton No 3 Subdivision.

Alt Street

No 137 is a Federation house (1913) that has leadlight in the front door  sidelight & top and in the fanlight.

© 2019 Colin Webb