top of page
A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 16A & 18.
High Street is shown on the 1884 subdivision of Myrtle Grove as running from Schwebel Street to Myrtle Street. This is now Charlotte Avenue. In 1891 lots on the western side of High Street were auctioned. The Residence of Mr J Meeks is shown on the eastern side of High Street. By 1896 Meeks’ residence is shown as Myrtle Cottage owned by Alexander Sneddon Esq. The road shown as Meeks Road is now Carrington Road. It appears that the eastern side of High Street was developed in the 1920’s
This part of High Street is now Charlotte Avenue.
This subdivisionof 1891 shows the lots on the western side.
This Myrtle Grove, the estate, still existed on the southern side of High Street in 1896.
No 16A is an interwar bungalow (c.1928) with leadlight in a three panel double hung window. The design radiates upwards and there is a total absence of colour.
bottom of page