A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
The classic shape of the roof line in a row of Californian Bungalows in Union Street.
Leadlight apparent at No’s 2, 14, 16, 20, 21, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 35, 35, 37, 38, 40, 44, 46, 48, 49, 51, 60, 62, 64 & 70.
Lots on the north-eastern side of Union Street were part of the Dulwich Hill Petersham Estate of 1900. These were generally narrow lots and the houses have very little distance between the street and the front of the house. They look more like inner city Victorian era homes from the 1890’s. They were modest homes and most did not have leadlight.
The Standard Pottery Estate auctioned in 1902 saw many houses constructed at the south eastern end of Union Street. These lots backed onto the clay pit. They were subsequently demolished to make way for the unit development that now occupies the site of the old pottery works. The houses built after the 1919 subdivision of Campbell’s Estate Petersham Heights are on wider blocks and are almost all Californian bungalows, some of which were built possibly by builders because there are quite a few in rows that are almost identical; apart from their leadlight.
No 2 is a Californian bungalow (c.1924) with leadlight in the three panel casement window facing south, a three panel casement window on the verandah and another three panel casement window on the left. The design in the windows at the front are the same with a large bevelled glass square set inside concentric circles; very geometric. The window facing south is very different with large flowers set inside a circle.