This page is under construction.
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 1, 3, 5, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, 25, 27, 31, 41, 43 & 45
Loudon Avenue was developed by the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company. The June 1912 auction notice indicates that almost half the lots in Loudon Avenue were already sold only lots 13 were up for auction. One very noticeable thing about the architecture (and the leadlight) in Loudon Avenue is that almost all of the Californian Bungalows were built on the northern side of the street while the few Federation houses were built on the southern side. Loudon Avenue is one place where it is possible to observe the concentration of leadlight around the front entrance in Federation era houses in comparison to its more widespread application in Californian Bungalows, particularly in three panel casement windows.
No 1 is a Californian Bungalow with leadlight in a three panel casement window on the veranda and a three panel casement window on the left. The design is a transitional one between Art Nouveau and Art Deco.