A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian - Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 321, 329, 331, 342, 347, 349, 351, 353, 355, 357, 363, 383, 396, 398, 400, 410, 422, 432, 448 & 460.
1886 Fitzroy Estate, Free trams and music!
Marrickville Road, as with the suburb, derives its name from the ‘Marrick Estate’ of Thomas Calder who came from the village of ‘Marrick’ in North Yorkshire. It is one of the major thoroughfares in Marrickville. While it is such a significant road in Marrickville only a few subdivision plans have been located at this stage.
There are some amazing examples of leadlight in Marrickville Road from the late Victorian period, a large number of beautiful Federation and a scattering from the Interwar years.
1903 Fernbank Estate
1903 Fernbank No 2
The Ellis Estate, c.1888
No 321 is a magnificent Federation house (c.1910) with magnificent leadlight, much of which is difficult to photograph from the street because of the hedge. This house was originally built as a residence with a surgery attached. This is such a beautiful Federation house.