A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Leadlight apparent at No’s 144, 146, 148, 152, 158, 160, 177, 187, 189, 191 & 193
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Milton Street has some of the oldest houses in Ashbury with the first lots on the eastern side auctioned as far back as 1884 in the Victorian period. Lots on the western side were auctioned as part of the Ashfield Heights Estate in 1929 so this section of Milton street has the greatest age range of any street in Ashbury… nearly 40 years! The reality is that not a lot of leadlight appeared in homes in the Victorian years so most of what still exists in Milton Street is from the early Federation years till the 1920’s.
No 144 is a small Federation era house with leadlight in a three panel casement window. The design is somewhat unusual because there are bevelled glass circles in the geometric outer panels but none in the centre panel… even the colours are different. Interesting.