A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 43, 45, 47, 51 & 53.
Dixson Avenue is named after Sir Hugh Dixson who purchased the land in 1885 and created what became known as the Abergeldie Estate in 1928. The houses in Dixson Avenue, like much of the Abergeldie Estate, can roughly be divided into two periods, the early 1928 and 1929 houses are more like the traditional Californian bungalow design while those built after the depression years from 1933 - 1937 are homes that a greater variety of influences including Art Deco, Moderne, Neo Georgian and English Norman.
Dixson Avenue is a wonderful repository of Art Deco leadlight because many of the bungalows built in the late 1920’s and 1930’s have been remarkably well preserved. The Development Control Plan No 17 that describes the Abergeldie Estate Heritage Conservation Area as being significant for a number of reasons, one of which is the ‘leadlights’ which are representative of the fashion at the time. And they are amazing. A walk down Dixson Avenue (and all the Abergeldie Estate) is very rewarding because so much of the original Art Deco leadlight is intact. Some of the houses have a complete ensemble of leadlight in the entrance door/s, verandah doors and sidelights, casement windows, angled bay windows and a variety of small windows. In some cases it is possible to gain a glimpse inside and many of the houses appear to have leadlight in internal doors.
No 3 (c.1934 & part of the Abergeldie Estate) is a Californian bungalow with leadlight in a five panel casement square bay window on the right and a three panel casement window on the verandah. The design uses bevelled glass ovals as the focus in most panels but changes to clusters of bevelled glass diamonds in the outer panels.