A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 13. 15, 17, 18, 22, 24, 28, 30, 32, 35, 39, 42, 43, 45, 48, 51, 57, 59, 61, 63 & 67
Boomerang Street is an extension of Dalhousie Street and while it may not have been called Boomerang Street it is shown on the 1850’s map of Haberfield. Development from the north of Waratah Street to Dobroyd Point, known as the Dobroyd Estate, was undertaken by the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Society, to some extent using the reputation built up by Stanton in the Haberfield subdivisions. The first lots in Boomerang Street were auctioned in 1909 and then six months later in 1910. Most of the lots on the western side of Boomerang Street had been sold by 1912 with only a few lots remaining by 1915. Most of the lots appear to have been sold over this five year time period but construction on many homes began much later.
Boomerang Street has a large number of beautiful intact Federation houses and Interwar Bungalows. There are modest Federation semi-detached dwellings, great Federation houses and a good collection of Californian Bungalows. Many of the Federation homes have leadlight in or around the front door. Leadlight is used in a more adventurous manner in some of the Californian Bungalows where not only the design changes but is used in more windows and doors; from almost Victorian conservatism to flamboyant Art Nouveau to what may appear to be quite austere Art Deco designs.
An 1850's map of Haberfield showing Dalhousie Street.
1st Subdivision six months later in 1910.
The last remaining lots in 1915.
Lots on the east side of Boomerang Street in the 1st Subdivision of the Dobroyd Point Estate in 1909.
By 1912 almost all the western side of Boomerang Street had been sold.
The Dobroyd Point Estate was huge!
No 2 is a much modified Bungalow with leadlight in two small windows facing facing south.