A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Trevenar Street, originally known as Goodlet Street, was described as a carriage road lined with pine trees led to Ashfield railway station in the 1860’s. It was the main entrance to Canterbury House which went on to become the Goodlet Estate. Part of Goodlet Street became known as Trevenar Lane. The name Trevenar appears to have come from the family of Walter James and Elizabeth Jane Trevenar had five children who immigrated to Australia with their four youngest children in 1879. William (aged 21) and Edward (aged 18) were both bricklayers. The family settled in Hardy Street, Ashbury in a cottage. The eldest son, James Trevenar married Sarah and when they arrived in Australia Sarah set up a dairy farm that became a significant feature of the area around what we know as Trevenar Street. In the 1884 subdivision of Woodlands Ashfield Heights the street was Goodlet Street. It was still shown as Goodlet Street in the 1913 subdivisions of the Queen’s Grove Estate. By 1920 it had become Trevenar Street. In 1910 The South Ashfield Brick and Tile Company operated the South Ashfield Brickworks (later called the Ashbury Brickyard) on the site of the present Peace Park that fronts Trevenar Street. Most of the houses in Trevenar Street were built after 1920 and as such the remaining leadlight reflects the fashions and designs of the interwar years.
Leadlight apparent at No’s 4, 6, 10, 12, 14, 15, 15A, 16, 19, 20, 24, 26, 27, 31, 35, 45, 49, 51, 57, 61, 63, 65, 69, 78, 80, 88, 90 & 102
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
As the carriage way to Canterbury House and Goodlets Estate the Street was originally called Goodlet Street. For a short while it was Trevenar Lane and then by 1920 it officially became Trevenar Street.
No 4 is a Californian Bungalow built in the early 1920’s with leadlight in a two panel casement window on the eastern side, a three panel casement window and in a bull’s eye on the verandah. The two panel casement window has tessellating rectangles and a narrow border but the three panel casement window has a large blue crest with a maroon bar through it in the central panel with two pull cord drops. The outer panels have a bevelled glass diamond and two drops. A wide bar of textured glass runs between the panels and it is fringed with two narrow strips of maroon. The bull’s eye has a floral motif.