Main Period: Victorian - Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 61, 73A, 83, 87, 134A, 136A, 111, 113, 115, 117, 119, 135.
The Boulevarde appears on one of the earliest subdivisions of what is now Dulwich Hill. In 1874 it was described as part of the Lewisham Estate Petersham. There are still some magnificent mansions in the Boulevarde that would have been built in the 1870’s and 1880’s. Regrettably many have been demolished and replaced by units. What is interesting is that in the remaining mansions can be observed the transition from etched glass to leadlight in the entrance sidelights and fanlights (see No 111). Even though a relatively small number of residences have retained their original leadlight, a walk down The Boulevarde takes one on a journey from the earliest leadlight in the Victorian years of the 1880’s to the last installations of leadlight in the late 1930’s.
Number 61 is a beautiful Victorian house (1880) with leadlight in the front door sidelights & tops and fanlight and in a beautiful four panel double hung bay window with arched fanlights. The design is very geometric and an excellent example of Victorian leadlight from the 1880’s.