Main Period: Victorian - Federation - Interwar
A beautifully preserved block of Interwar Flats complete with leadlight!
Leadlight apparent at No’s 4, 13, 16, 18, 21, 42, 44, 49, 51, 54, 67, 68, 70 & 75.
Morris Street has a mixture of housing extending back to the early 1880's, through the Federation and Interwar years. While many dwellings have been modified there are still some beautiful examples of domestic architecture and its leadlight that are very well preserved.
Morris Street was named after Hubert Morris who lived nearby in Wellesley Street. It is shown in the 1887 subdivision of the Summer Hill Estate that really took advantage of the opening of the new station at Summer Hill. It explains why there are so many Victorian period houses in Morris Street. Urana Street is now Smith Street and Morris Street now extends across Lorne Street to Junction Road.
The northern end of Morris Street was part of the Tavistock Estate in 1887
No 4 is a fantastic block of Interwar flats there’s leadlight in the three panel double hung windows on the left and on the right and in another pair on the first floor as well as in the first floor stairwell. This is a beautiful example of leadlight in Interwar flats. The use of different coloured and type of bricks textures together with the leadlight make this an outstanding example of interwar flat with an incredible art deco design. And the leadlight appears to all be intact!