Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 6, 7, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 30, 32, 33, 34, 38, 39, 40, 42, 48, 51, 54, 56, 59, 68, 69, 85, 86, 92, 94, 98, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 113, 115, 117 & 119
This page is under construction.
Waratah Street is indicated in one of the older maps of Haberfield available in the State Library. This map shows Waratah Street running between Long Cove Creek (Hawthorne Canal) and Iron Cove Creek in 1885. Louisa Ramsay's holdings were extensive and included the land bordered by Iron Cove Creek, the south side of Waratah Street, West of Dalhousie Street and North of Ramsay Street.
The eastern end of Waratah Street (even numbers 2 - 50) was part of Richard Stanton's first subdivision of the Haberfield Estate. Most of the other lots in Waratah Street were put up for auction by the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company in 1905 and in 1910. Building did not commence immediately on all the lots although there are many classic Federation homes built between 1902 and 1908. The peak building period appears to be just prior to and during World War 1. Waratah Street has a mixture of Early, Mid and Late-Federation homes as well as a sprinkling of bungalows from the immediate post war years to the late 1920's. Consequently it is a great street to explore to see the range of leadlight made in the years between 1902 - 1930. There are at least 50 houses in Waratah Street that still retain some of their original leadlight.
No 6 is a Californian Bungalow (1927) with leadlight in two x two panel casement windows with wide transoms, one on the verandah and one on the right. The panels have an Art Deco feel and the star like design is very obvious from the street. There may be leadlight in the front door but the door was open.