Main Period: Victorian
Leadlight apparent at No’s 5, 6, 14, 20, 21, 27, 49, 69, 76, 78, 92, 94,112, 118, 120 & 139.
Illawarra Road is shown on the Sydenham Farms Subdivision plans (c.1866). During the 1860-1870 period the land in what is now Marrickville was extensively used for farming after the timber had been cleared. Residential development really took off in the 1880’s when there were numerous subdivisions along the length of the road. Development slowed during the depression years of the 1890’s but by decade following Federation most of the available land along Illawarra Road had been subdivided.
No 5 is an early Federation house (c.1910) with leadlight in the front door panels and in the fanlight. The leadlight is a recent addition.