Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 22, 25, 26, 28, 35, 38, 42, 43, 45, 51 & 53
The land that became known as the Goodlet Estate was owned by a variety of people from R. Johnson to Robert Campbell and eventually William Child and Francis Kemble who built the doomed sugar mill near Canterbury Station. In about 1846, after the death of Robert Campbell some of the land near Goodlet Street, was passed on to Arthur Jeffreys who went on to build Canterbury House. In 1876, 15 years after his death Canterbury House was sold to John Hay Goodlet. After his death in 1914 his second wife Elizabeth began to subdivide the Goodlet Estate. So we have Goodlet Street, Jeffreys Street and Hay Street in or near Ashbury. Regrettably Canterbury House was demolished in 1928 and only a plaque acknowledging its existence in Goodlet Street Remains. The land in Goodlet Street appears to have all been sold between 1919 & 1928 and this is bang on for the time of the Californian Bungalow and there are sections of Goodlet that remain largely intact. The leadlight in Goodlet is a collection of designs from the early 1920's through to the start of the Depression in 1929 though there are a few later additions.
The land in Goodlet Street was sold off over a 10 year period. Regretably Canterbury House, owned by the Goodlet family was demolished in 1928.
No 2 is a modified Californian Bungalow with a high fence that makes recording the leadlight windows difficult. There is leadlight in a two panel casement window, a small window with two panels, and a three panel casement but they are difficult to photograph.