Main Period: Victorian - Federation
Leadlight apparent at No’s 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 17, 19, 26, 32, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 49, 50, 51, 54, 55, 59, 60, 63, 64, 67 & 69.
The name Canonury appears to be that of a north London suburb not too far from Islington. The first subdivison of Canonbury Grove appears to have taken place as part of Camberwell Grove Marrickville in 1884 and then five years later as Camberwell Grove of Wardells Estate, Petersham in 1889 when the northern end of the street was offered for sale. The southern end of the street was part of the Macarthur Estate Dulwich Hill in 1901. These sales also show how the name for the area changed from Marrickville to Petersham and finally to Dulwich Hill. There are many beautiful late Victorian and Federation houses and a few Californian bungalows in Canonbury Grove and given the earliest houses with leadlight appear to have been built in the 1880’s with the last prior to WW2 it is a rare opportunity to such a range of housing styles and leadlight over a sixty-year time frame.
No 3 is an early Federation or late Victorian house (c.1900) with leadlight in the front door fanlight and tops. The leadlight is classic classic Victorian and there is possibly some stained glass in the central diamond in the fanlight. This design appears in many entrances of this period.