A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 6, 18, 20, 22, 24 & 26
John Hay Goodlet was born in Leith, an area to the north of Edinburgh in Scotland. The southern side of Leith Street (Even No’s 6 – 30) was auctioned in 1925 as part of the Seventh Subdivision of the Goodlet Estate. The northern side was part of the Canterbury House Estate auctioned in 1929 but there aren’t any house frontages on the northern side of Leith Street. While the houses were all originally Californian Bungalows constructed in the mid to late 1920’s there is some diversity in their design. There is, however, some consistency in the leadlight from this period … circles and squares with vertical drops.
The 1925 auction of the Seventh Subdivision of Goodlet Estate resulted in houses being built on the southern side that actually faced on to Leith Street.
No 6 is a Californian Bungalow built in the mid to late 1920’s with leadlight in two three panel casement windows, two sidelights either side of the double doors to the verandah and in a small window on the western side of the house. The central panel has four bevelled glass diamonds together with four triangles of opaque turquoise glass all set inside a large circle sitting on top of two vertical drops that terminate in a piece of turquoise glass. The outer panels have a large bevelled square of glass with two blue chevrons on either side. The square design is used in the sidelights and in the small window. It is a simple but elegant design that looks great from the street.