A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 12, 15, 41, 46, 58, 61, 62, 90 & 90A, 104, 106, 112 & 114
Melford Street is almost certainly named after Melfort in Scotland and is another legacy of the Campbell’s Scottish heritage. Melfort is in Oban on the West Coast of Scotland along with many of the other places used as street names by the Campbell’s in Hurlstone Park. It is shown on the Canterbury Estate Subdivision in the 1870’s.
Subdivision of Melford Street has resulted in housing being built in the street from the early Federation years from Bran’s Subdivision of Fernhill (no date but probably around the 1890’s) and the Segenhoe Estate Fernhill in 1900 to the Jeffreys’s No 4 (1907), No 5 (1910) and No 6 (1910) Estates. Essentially most of the original houses were built during the Federation years and the original leadlight that still exists reflects the styles and influences of these years.
This undated map shows the north eastern end of Melford Street c.1900.
The north western end of Melford Street in the Segenhoe Estate in 1900.
Parts of Melford Street were auctioned off in the Jeffrey's Estates subdivisions of 1907, 1910 and 1912.
Number 12 is a lovely Federation house (c.1901) with leadlight in the front door panels, sidelights & tops and the fan light. It is a great entrance but the leadlight, though lovely, is not original.