Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 8, 14, 19, 21, 25, 32, 42, 44, 49, 51, 61, 72 & 83
Dunstaffenage Street has had almost as many name changes as Hurlstone Park itself; well at least spelling changes. The first lots went on sale in 1893 as part of the 1st Subdivision of the Fernhill Estate. Quite a lot of the rest of Dunstaffenage Street was sold off in the 2nd 3rd, 4th & 5th subdivisions of the Jeffrey’s Estates. This places most of the housing in this part of Dunstaffenage Street in the early Federation era and those houses that have retained their leadlight reflect the influences of this time.
The changing spelling of Dunstaffenage Street
4 - Sarah Campbell's Estate: Dunslaffnage Street
1893 - Fernhill Estate: Dunslaffnage Street
1903 Jeffrey's No 2: Dunsnaffnage Street
1906 - Jeffrey's No 3: Dunslaffnage Street
1907 - Jeffrey's No 4: Dunslaffnage Street
1910 - Jeffrey's No 5: Dunstaffnage Street
1912 - Jeffrey's No 6: Dunslaffnage Street
And finally... Dunstaffenage Street.
The street owes its name to Dunstaffnage Castle in Argyll in western Scotland which was built sometime in the 13th century. While it is now somewhat ruined it was at one time used by the Clan Campbell and it remained in Campbell hands for over five hundred years until a disastrous fire in 1810. Robert Campbell, who bought the land on which Hurlstone Park now stands in 1803, was part of the Clan Campbell and when his daughter Sarah subsequently subdivided the estate many of the streets were given names that acknowledged this Scottish heritage.
This lovely row of houses in Dunstaffenage Street were built after the 3rd Subdivision of the Jeffey's Estate and provides just a glimpse of how the street might have looked in the Federation years. The awnings, while all different, show a remarkable consistency.
Dunstaffenage Street was shown as Dunslaffnage Street on Sarah Campbell's 1874 subdivision plans.
The Crinan Street end of Dunstaffenage Street was first subdivided in 1893.
The Southern end of Dunstaffenage Street was part of the 2nd and 3rd Subdivisions of the Jeffrey's Estate in 1903 & 1906.
Dunstaffenage Street was part of the 4th and 5th Subdivisions of the Jeffrey's Estate in 1907 & 1910.
No 8 is a Federation house (c.1910) with leadlight in Bull’s eye.