HABERFIELD

O'Connor Street

This page is under construction. 

Main Period: Federation 

Leadlight apparent at No’s 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 19, 24, 31, 33, 34, 35, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 63, 64, 65, 67, 68, 72, 74, 78, 80, 81, 82, 84, 96, 100, 110, 116& 120

O’Connor Street was originally known as Dobroyd Street and appears to have been first subdivided in 1885 when lots on the western side of the street were sold and there are some very early residences from this subdivision. The rest of O’Connor Street was incorporated into Stanton’s Haberfield No 2 St David’s Estate and the housing reflects the influence of the Garden Suburb design. There are a large number of houses in O’Connor Street that have retained some leadlight. The earlies leadlight is in some windows at No 67 and the leadlight has a very Victorian look to it. Over 80% of the leadlight in O’Connor Street confirms the observation that most Federation Homes confined their leadlight to their front entrances. There are some particularly good examples of entrance leadlight at No’s 14, 53, 54, 57, 68, 78 & 116 (This is not to deprecate the leadlight in other houses. Some Federation homes did not confine their leadlight to the entrance and No’s 19, 54, 57, 64 & 96 use leadlight in casements windows as well.

O'Connor Street

No 3 is a Federation house (1915) with leadlight in the fanlight and possibly the top.

© 2019 Colin Webb