A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 63, 69, 79, 81, 83, 87, 92, 95, 98, 99, 104, 140, 142, 144, 146 & 148
This house is typical of many in Hurlstone Park and is one of five or six in a row that remain remarkably intact.
Floss Street still has some beautiful Federation houses that have remained largely intact or only partially ‘modified’. Unfortunately there are many others that have been enthusiastically renovated beyond recognition.
In the mid-19th century there was a quarry near Euston Road and Gower Street that dug out ‘whinstone’ which is a generic term for dark fine grained rocks, usually igneous. It may be that what was being mined was a combination of sandstone and Ashfield Shale. Floss Street follows the original cart track from the quarry to St Paul’s Church on Canterbury Road.
There are about six small Federation cottages in a row at the western end of Floss Street some of which are still intact and they all had originally a bull’s-eye with leadlight on the veranda. They are difficult to see but the houses as a group provide an invaluable insight into how this street must have looked and felt in the Federation years between about 1905 and World War 1.
Floss Street is clearly shown on Sarah Campbell's subdivision in 1874 which turned the area into numerous small farms.
This drawing shows the No2 Jeffreys Estate Subdivision possibly from the 1890's.
No 5 is a Federation house built in 1910 with leadlight in a four panel casement window on the right and another one on the left. They are very beautiful though the one on the left is hidden behind the plant screen. The design has lovely with flowing flowers in the windows with the two centre casements being larger than the outer ones. There is leadlight in the side lights by the front door and in the tops and in the fanlight and probably in the front door but it was open.