Lasswade Street, like several streets in Ashbury gets its name from a small village in Scotland. The street was created as part of the Fourth Subdivision of the Goodlet Estate (Auctioned on April Fool’s Day 1922) and the Fifth Subdivision six months later. The houses are all Californian Bungalows built predominantly in the years 1922-25 and the leadlight reflects some of the dominant influences in this period: Art Deco and geometry!
Leadlight apparent at No’s 3, 7, 8, 17, 20, 42 & 43
Main Period: Interwar
Both subdivisions of Lasswade Street occurred in 1922 and there is a remarkable consistency in the bungalows and this is reflected in the leadlight.
No 3 is a Californian Bungalow built in the mid 1920’s with leadlight in a three panel casement window on the verandah and in a four panel casement curved bay window and in a small window on the western side of the house. The design in all of the casement panels has a convex circle set inside of yellow and frosted glass with small pieces of red and blue glass at the compass points. From this drop two pieces of pastel green glass that have rocket fins at the bottom.. There are small squares of blue glass in the corners of the border of clear textured glass. Very subtle and very Art Deco. The small window has the circular design without the convex glass.