A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Federation - Interwar
The 1843 map of Canterbury at the left shows Canterbuty Road as George Street. It also shows the significant influence the Sugar Mill had on the development of Canterbury and Hurlstone Park. On the 1874 map above Canterbury Road is shown as a significant thoroughfare through the Canterbury Estate.
Leadlight apparent at
Canterbury Road is one of the oldest thoroughfares in the Hurlstone Park area. The Village of Canterbury developed as a settlement in the 1840’s with a school, a church, and, more importantly, a road from Sydney, initially known as George Street but eventually Canterbury Road. Robert Campbell, on the Ashfield side of the river, and Cornelius Prout, on the other side, each agreed to provide part of their land to build Canterbury Road. Prout agreed to build a bridge using convict labour. The bridge was built in 1840 on the understanding that Prout could charge a bridge toll till the cost of construction was recovered. The bridge across the Cook’s River is still known as Prout’s Bridge.
As late as 1914 Canterbury Road was known as George Street. There has been a lot of construction and demolition and reconstruction along Canterbury Rod Hurlstone Park and very little leadlight survives.
Subdivisions on Canterbury Road continued fro the 1880's through to the 1920's and the housing that still exists reflects this range from the Victorian Era through to Art Deco.
No 23 is an Interwar block of flats with leadlight on the first floor stairwell that has a very Art Deco look about it.