New Canterbury Road
Main Period: Victorian - Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 315, 323, 325, 338, 342, 354, 357, 359, 361, 371, 375, 381, 393, 521, 585, 587 691, 693, 695 & 697.
New Canterbury Road is one of the old roads in the Inner Western suburbs. It runs from roughly from Petersham along the ridgetop that separates the Parramatta River and Cooks River valeys to where it meets Old Canterbury Road. As development extended westward through Dulwhich Hill it is possible to see, in what would have been roughly a mile (1.6km), the transition from the early appearance of leadlight in Victorian homes of the 1880's, through to the Interwar years and the Californian bungaloww, where it became somewhat ubiquitous. Regrettably a lot has been lost in this area of Dulwich hill which make the leadlight that remains so much more important.