A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 8, 10A, 11, 11A, 12, 20, 24, 43 & 45.
Spencer Street appears in the Summer Hill Estate subdivision of 1885 and most lots at the southern end were sold other than those that were shown as reserved closer to the station. These were auctioned in 1887. The southern end of the street was then known as Abigail Street. The street has a Victorian era look to it with quite a few two story and single story terrace houses and just a few California bungalows in between.
This 1881 early subdivision of Summer Hill Estate shows the southern end of Spencer Street as Abigail Street. The street was renamed sometime around Federation as a continuation of Spencer Street.
These two subdivision plans of the Summer Hill Estate, first in 1885 and then again in 1987 show just how much of Spencer Street had been sold in the late Victorian years.
This 1892 subdivision of the last lots in the Summer Hill Estate shows that most lots in Spencer Street were already sold.
No 8 is an early California bungalow (c.1920) with leadlight in a three panel casement window on the right, in the front door panels, and in another three panel casement window on the left. The design is a variation of flowers, ribbons and bow where the panels are linked by the ribbons and the flowers and bows are set on a bar or a curtain rod.