A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Federation -
Leadlight apparent at No’s 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 22, 25, 27, 28, 31, 33, 36 & 38.
Bartlett Street is shown as Summer Street in the 1876 subdivision of the Ashfield Estate. Sometime between 1876 and 1884 it appears as Bartlett Street in a subdivision plan. Bartlett Street was named after James Bartlett who lived in Prospect Hall, now demolished, but once a prominent feature on Seaview Street between Prospect Road and Old Canterbury Road. The Summer Hill Centennial Estate of 1886 shows Bartlett Street running past the primary school through to Herbert Street. All the land on the eastern side of this subdivision south of Junction Road was resumed and the dwellings demolished to allow the primary school to expand. The really early dwellings did not have leadlight but as the years increased so did the leadlight and this can be observed in Bartlett Street.
Bartlett Street (Then Summer Street) in 1876, Summer Hill Estate.
This plan shows that the name had changed to Bartlett Street by 1884.
A lot of the 1886 Centennial Estate was demolished to make way for the school
No 8 is one of a pair of Californian bungalows (c.1924) that have a very similar layout with a five panel casement square bay window on the right of the house.