Main Period: Victorian - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 4, 6, 8, 25, 29, 32, 56, 65, 73, 74, 75, 79, 82, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, 103, 106, 107 & Bethlehem
Bland Street, Like Alt Street, runs from Ashfield Station through to Haberfield. Subdivision from the old estates began in the 1880’s and continued through to the 1920’s. Some of the most significant and imposing structures are legacies of the Catholic Church; St Vincent’s Presbytery and St Vincent’s Church, St Vincent’s School and Bethlehem College. The Anglicans created a precinct around St John’s Anglican Church completed in 1843 making it the possibly the oldest building in Ashfield. The street has everything from Victorian mansions and two storey terraces to units built in the 1960’s & 70’s. No 80 has a wonderful example of Victorian geometric pattern leadlight in the front door and casement windows and at 92 are fine examples of late Victorian double hung windows in a building with superb external decorative masonry. No’s 91, 104, 120A have wonderful Federation Period windows and door panels.
No 4 is an Interwar Bungalow built in 1919 with a Federation feel to it. There is a two panel casement window on the verandah and a four panel casement on the left. The design in the two panel window is intact and has a design that almost looks like a figure. Only the outer panels remain in the four panel casement.
The 2001 Ashfield Heritage Study Review of Areas Zoned 2(a) says that ‘The three adjacent houses at Nos 4, 6 and 8 Bland Street enable a detailed comparison of three variations of the Inter-War Arts-&-Crafts/California Bungalow idiom, one of the most versatile composite or transitional domestic architectural styles in this period of Ashfield’s vigorous residential growth… The room bay windows have five casement lights and narrow end lights with leaded glazing and transom lights in muffled glass…’