Main Period: Victorian - Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 95, 99 & 99A, 101, 105, 111, 141, 155, 161A, 165, 169, 173, 195, 199, 205, 207, 209, 211, 215, 217, 219, 221, 225, 227 & 229.
Wardell Road is one of the very old roads in the area. It was named after Robert Wardell who was the largest land holder in the area in the 1820’s and who was later murdered near the Cooks River in 1834.
There have been numerous subdivisions along Wardell Road in Dulwich Hill from 1882 to 1912 followed by later individual sales. Building styles range from the early 1880’s through to 1960’s flats and units. Fortunately there are some great dwellings in Wardell Road that have survived relatively unscathed and many of them have retained their original leadlight. There are Victorian Villas, Federation houses, Californian bungalows and Interwar flats that make it possible to see how leadlight styles have changed over the sixty year period from the 1880’s to the 1940’s.
No 95 is an early Federation cottage that has leadlight in the front door panels and in the fanlight. It is only just discernible in the shadow. The design is very geometric with rondels and has a Victorian look to it .