A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian- Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No's 9, 13, 16, 22, 24, 26, 28, 33, 34, 36, 40, 41, 43, 48, 53, 55, 58, 59, 60, 62, 63, 66, 67, 68, 70, 71, 76, 78 & 85.
Abergeldie Street, like many of the names of streets in the area, possibly derives its name from Scotland; Abergeldie Castle. It is not too far (3km) from the Royal palace at Balmoral. While most of the dwellings are from the post World War 1 era (Californian Bungalows) the northern end of Agergeldie Street has a number of late Victorian and very early Federation homes. There are a couple of late Victorian semi-detached dwellings that are very interesting (but no leadlight). It’s a real mosaic of architecture from late Victorian through Federation through to Californian bungalows and even to some seriously bad modifications from the 1970's & 80's. The subdivision plan to the right indicates that a large number of the lots south of Arlington Street were auctioned not long after the end of World War 1 and suggests that many of the homes were financed by 'War Service Loans'.
No 9 is a Federation house (c.1916) with leadlight light in the top two front door panels and in the fan light.