The sketch from 1873 and the survey plan of 1877 show that Smith Street was shown as a 'Road'
Main Period: Victorian - Federation
Leadlight apparent at No’s 64, 90, 114, 116, 118, 120, 122, 126, 154, 158, 164, 168, 176, 177, 178 & 180.
The northern side of Smith Street is marked the southern border of the Underwood Estate in 1873 and the plan shows it was a reserved road. In the 1877 survey it still did not have a name. Two subdivisions of the Summer Hill Estate Ashfield, the first in 1876 and another a year later show the blocks had been sold but also that Smith Street was still just shown as ‘Road’. When the Underwood Estate was auctioned in 1878 the Road had become Smith Street. Development began to increase in the 1880’s. Twelve lots in the Sumer Hill Estate were auctioned in 1885 and the 1887 Auction shows that the original lots in Smith were sold and another 22 that had been reserved were up for sale.
The shops are a significant part of Smith Street and, wonderfully, some of them have retained their leadlight. St Andre’s Church and the Post Office are also significant features and landmarks ans so are the magnificent mansions and Interwar flats.
The extended period of development in Smith Street, from the 1870’s, to the Federation and Interwar years has provided a legacy of some beautiful leadlight.
The south western end of Smith Street in 1876 and again in 1877 showing which lots had been sold but it was still just a road.
The 1878 auction of the Underwood Estate shows that Smith Street had a name.
The large blocks at the south western end of Smith Street resulted from a resubdivision in 1886.
The Summer Hill Estate Auctions in 1885 & 1887 sold 34 lots in Smith Street
See more Subdivision Plans on the last Slide
No 64 is a small terrace house, one of two, with leadlight in the fanlight above the front door.