A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian- Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 3, 7, 14, 20, 20A, 50 & 54
Palace Street was initially subdivided as the Queen’s Grove Estate in 1881. It, like many streets in Ashfield has a large and long recreation reserve in the centre. Lots were again offered for sale in 1885, 1888 and 1913. Consequently houses were built in Palace Street over quite a number of years and the buildings in the street exemplify a number of building styles from humble Victorian weatherboard cottages, Federation homes and mansions and Californian Bungalows and just about everything between then and now. Unfortunately not a lot of leadlight is left.
No 3 is a Californian Bungalow that has a three panel casement window on the verandah and a beautiful six panel casement square bay window. The design of the leadlight in these two windows is different. The bay window has a pattern that loops from panel to panel drawing attention to the bevelled oval piece of glass set in a wide horizontal bar of textured glass. The vertical elements almost look like ‘pull cords’. It is very ‘pretty’.