(Previously Priddle Street)
Main Period: Federation
Leadlight apparent at No’s 2, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 18, 27, 29, 32, 34 & 35-37.
Challis Avenue (like Kays Avenue West and Wilga Avenue) is in a parcel of land that appears as though it should be in the suburb of Marrickville. The street was subdivided in 1906 as part of the Priddle Estate and was shown as Priddle Street. The name was changed some time before 1912 when it appears as Challis Street on the Denman Estate Subdivision. Challis is a light weight cotton fabric. Most of the houses appear to have been built around 1907-10 and there are some that are remarkably well preserved and so is their Federation era leadlight.
No 2 is a Federation house (c.1907) with a wonderful gazebo like tower on the corner of the house. It provides a great entrance to Challis Street. It has leadlight in the front door sidelight & top and in the fanlight. There is probably leadlight in the front door but it was too dark and obscured by the security screen. There is also leadlight in a bull’s eye.