Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No 18.
Richards Avenue runs through what was the last part of the Warren Estate. Thomas Holt built a huge mansion on the land in 1857. He owned a huge area of land but most of it was sold off in 1884. The Warren became a nunnery when Carmelite nuns purchased hectares (12 acres) after his death in 1888 The nuns were evicted in 1903 and it appears that little happened to the Warren till it was sed as an artillery training range in World War 1. The New South Wales Government resumed the land in 1919 and the house was demolished in 1922. The Plan of Subdivision shown was drawn up by the Department of Housing in 1919 and the land was subdivided to build a housing estate for returned soldiers. The homes built on this estate were modest and leadlight was rare.
Pillars from The Warren now in Richardsons Lookout, June 2021.
The Warren Marrickville Plan of Subdivision, NSW Dept of Housing, 1919.
Photo from The State Library of NSW showing The Warren being demolished for returned soldier housing c.1920.
No 18 is a late Federation house (c.1920) with leadlight in a two panel casement window. The design is very fluid and swirls through the two panels.