A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Victorian - Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 1, 7, 19, 30 & 32.
O'Hara Street, 1893.
O’Hara Street was subdivided in 1893. This was just as the effect of the great depression of the 1890’s was lessening. The blocks were all shown on the Marrickville Station Estate as having 20ft frontages (6.1metres). This is very narrow and the lots were designed for workers of modest means. Some of these late Victorian/early Federation cottages have survived remarkably intact but just a few have any leadlight.
No 1 is a weatherboard cottage with leadlight in a small window facing north. This may be an example of adaptive reuse. The cottage looks as though it was built in the early Federation years and the leadlight is consistent with that time but it was very rare for weatherboard cottages to have leadlight and this small window is upside down.