A repository of photographs of leadlight in homes in the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney.
Main Period: Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s 8, 5, 9, 11, 14, 17, 34, 36, 38, 40, 52, 54 & 56.
The reason subdivision plans have not been found is because Marrickville Council purchased the area some time before WW2 and then sold the Holland’s Road area to a builder named Mr Holland. The land was originally a part of a Cooper’s dairy from 1879.
As a result, Hollands Avenue was developed as a street, either immediately before the Second World War or just after. The houses, architecturally, are very similar in design and they seem to all be using the same bricks. Some of the houses have retained their leadlight. All the fences in Holland Avenue have remained exactly the same as they were built! The homogeneity of this street is extraordinary and is well worth conserving.
Hollands Avenue looking west outside Ness Park.
A typical Holland's Avenue Semi-Detached House.
No 5 is a semi detached house with leadlight in a small window facing east. Like most leadlight in Hollands Avenue it is based on a radiating pattern. In this small window the design radiates downwards and outwards from a small square that contains nine smaller squares. Very unusual.