Main Period: Federation - Interwar
Leadlight apparent at No’s No’s 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 16, 20, 22, 41,43, 47, 49, 51, & 53
Henry Street is typical of Ashfield.
There are some Units from the 60’s & 70’s. There are wonderful Federation houses east of Frederick Street. One of the most significant and historic features at the east end of Henry Street is the Infant’s Home Ashfield. The original property (Gorton) was built in the early 1860’s making it one of the oldest buildings in Ashfield. It was donated to the Sydney Foundling Institution in 1876 and still stands in remarkable condition. Crossing Frederick Street to the west enters the world of the Californian Bungalow and in some areas on the north side near the railway line it was definitely for those of very modest means. In the modesty of these homes there is great beauty and dignity.
The six panel casement square bay window at No 5 is both beautiful and interesting because the leadlight in the casements is in the top half of the panel with a sash bar separating it from the clear glass at the bottom. The top panels or fanlights employ textured glass together with the motifs from the bottom.